For years I made the mistake of not investing in learning the craft of writing. Though I certainly put in the time, for years I was reluctant to spend money. But taking the cheap way out merely held me back.
Here are some investments I’m now making to become a better writer:
- Study magazines about writing and publishing
- Read books and blogs about writing and publishing
- Listen to podcasts about writing and publishing
- Attend writing conferences
- Hire editors: developmental editors, copy editing, and proofreading
- Join online classes about specific writing-related topics
- Take part in online writing communities
- Hire mentors and teachers
Of course, none of these things would help if I weren’t regularly applying them every day by writing. This is a long list, but don’t let it overwhelm you. Pick one item to invest in and add more over time.
Note that not everything costs money but merely time. Reading blogs and listening to podcasts is a free option to learn about writing and publishing.
Bonus tip: The one mistake I almost made but didn’t was quitting my day job to write full time. This was about eight years before I was ready. Yikes!