Is it enough for authors to embrace a publishing mindset or must they go further?
I read, “publishers are becoming developers.” This sounds profound, but what does it mean that publishers become developers?
A publisher is someone who prepares and issues information or material.
A developer is someone who creates, who builds, who advances.
How can publishers become developers?
- Turn a book or publication into a platform or business
- Repackage past and current products (books, articles, posts, and so forth) into innovative offerings for a new audience
- Build a social media presence to curate and share information
- Create mobile apps of content for the on-the-move, I-want-it-now demographic
- Establish new information dissemination channels
- Reinvent being a writer into something with a greater, grander vision
These are all general ideas, of course. I leave the details for each author-turned-publisher to determine, pursue, and achieve.
Then, just as authors become publishers, we can take the next step so that publishers become developers too.