Some critique groups can be good, some are okay, and some are not good at all. Here’s what to look for in a critique group that I think is important.
Critique Group Characteristics
- The members actively write.
- The members read.
- The members balance criticism with praise; too much of either is bad.
- The members curtail feedback on pieces in genres they aren’t familiar with.
- The members challenge each other to improve.
- The members provide encouragement
- The members are committed to helping other members.
Critique Group Leader
Also, look at the leader. Is the leader effective in maintaining focus and structure? If not, the group can easily veer off topic and waste time.